Young Paphiopedilum sanderianum plant
It is a testament to the Paph sanderianum's slow growth that this is the first time I am writing about this orchid since I introduced it when starting this blog. I've had the orchid for about 6 months now, and all it's done is finish growing a new leaf.
Now there is a hint of something new pushing out from the crown; it is almost certainly another leaf. Bolstered by the new growth and the incipient Spring, I decided to finally repot the orchid for the first time.
I was immediately struck by how dark the paph's roots are (much darker than those of my noid paph). Most of the roots seemed healthy, but I didn't notice any new growing root tips. There were however several broken roots, which I trimmed off before returning the paph to its pot.
Paph sanderianum roots after trimming
The old paph potting media
I noticed that the old paph media had rocks mixed in with the bark and perlite. I guess the rocks help increase the drainage of the media. Since rock doesn't degrade like bark does, I picked out the pebbles and mixed them in with fresh media, and used that to repot the orchid back in its original pot.