Thursday, January 24, 2013

Final action plan for Psychopsis Mariposa 'Mountain'

Psychopsis Mariposa 'Mountain'

     After my Psychopsis Mariposa lost its new growth last week, I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with this sick orchid. I'm tired of fussing with an orchid that doesn't seem to be getting better, and yet not willing to toss away a plant which may yet live.

     I gave the orchid a long bath in systemic fungicide.  Then I repotted the orchid one more time, into a larger pot with 'oncidium/seedling' mix.  The new 3" pot is slotted so it should still dry out reasonably fast, but not so quickly as the previous 2.5" net pot.  I don't want to be watering this orchid daily.  Also, the larger pot size allowed me to bury the orchid more steadily in the media.

    I'll now just water this orchid as the pot dries out, and wait to see if it gets better or not.  I have no intention of fussing with it any further.

2 comments:

  1. I need help and have no idea where to start... I found one of those in a friends backyard recently. I'm, not sure what possessed me to take it home, as it had no more leaves, dry, old rotten looking bulbs and 1 lone wilted flower... Anyways, I took it home, drained the water and it bloomed another flower yesterday. Thats how i could ID it as a psychopsis... To get to the point, I have no idea what to do with it or how to care for it? Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for not responding sooner. It sounds like your plant is pretty far gone. I recommend to check the roots, and cut away anything that seems rotten or mushy. If there are some nonrotten bulbs that remain, you can plant in a tiny pot with sphagnum or another moisture retaining orchid media, such that the plant dries out daily. And hope for a new growth. However, it may be too damaged to save. Good luck.

      Delete