Sunday, March 5, 2017

2017 New York Orchid Show: Vandas

The "Thailand" themed orchid show features rainbow-colored displays of vandas
Colorful blooming orchids take over the conservatory at the New York Botanical Garden every spring.  I posted about this year's orchid show in February, when I attended the show opening.  There are so many orchids on display, that it is nearly impossible to really take in everything in one trip.  So I went back again next week.  

For this post, I want to take a closer look at the genus of South Asian orchids, which were beautifully featured in this year's show: Vandas.  Although vandas are a small genus (containing only 80 species), their flowers have the widest color range.  The orchid show displayed dazzling arrays of blue, yellow, red, and even brown vanda blossoms.

I only wish I could associate names with more of these gorgeous flowers.
Ascocenda Crownfox Red


Vanda Ben's Delight


Vanda Pachara Delight
Vanda Pachara Delight (different lighting angle)
Vanda Somsri Glory
Vanda Ratchaburi Fuchs-Katsura


Vanda Betty Baderman
Rhynvandopsis Memoria Mary Nattrass

No comments:

Post a Comment