Thursday, November 15, 2012

Paphiopedilum Sanderianum exactly the same size as one year ago

A young Paphiopedilum sanderianum plant

     My Paph sanderianum recently shed a leaf, revealing that the bulge I had noticed last month was simply a root nub.  With the loss of this leaf, the orchid returns to exactly the same size it was when I first received it over a year ago.  Since last September, it has shed two leaves, and completed growing two new ones. I'm not sure if this is what to expect from the species, but at this rate, I don't know how it will ever reach blooming size.  Maybe the calcium supplements I added last month will kick in and help the newest leaf grow longer than the previous leaves.  Otherwise, this orchid is growing new leaves just fast enough to make up for shedding the old ones. 

1 comment:

  1. At least it is still alive. :) I killed mine by overwatering first, then, when it pulled through and started new root - I let it get too dry.
    It'll be a while before I will be ready to spend another $50 for sandie seedling.
    Yours look nice and healthy, hopefully calcium will boost the growth.

    ReplyDelete